What is a reasonable cost for simply getting a copy of a trust created for my mom?k a brief question here.

My mom passed away in July. Her trust was created in Illinois in 2004. She had
relocated to Ohio in 2014. I was unable to find a copy in her personal papers and
contacted the lawyer who created it. He emailed me a copy. There was a total of
18 pages. He then billed me 915 for this service. There was no verbal or written
fee agreement. I wish to pay a reasonable amount for a service rendered but am
not sure how to set that amount. I just don’t think 50/page is reasonable.

Asked on November 5, 2018 under Estate Planning, Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

And I would agree.  I would call the office and speak with the attorney about same.  Illinois has a set fee for copying health records and I would go by that schedule.  Explain that it is really no different in your eyes.  Here is the schedule:
The 2018 maximum fees that can be charged for copying medical records are as follows:
Paper: $1.02 per page for the first 25 pages, $0.70 per page for pages 26 to 50, and $0.35 per page for each page in excess of 50.

Additionally, health care facilities and practitioners are permitted to charge $27.91  for processing the request and the actual postage or shipping cost.

I would calculate it all and enclose a check marked "paid in full."  If he persists consider filing a complaint.  Good luck.

S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Sorry to hear about your mom.
Since the copy of the Trust was emailed to you, the fee should have been nothing or nearly nothing. You are being charged an unconscionable fee, and should file a complaint with the State Bar.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.