What is a ‘diversion’?

I don’t want a criminal history record.

Asked on October 22, 2017 under Criminal Law, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Are you a youth offender? And are you talking about adolescent diversion programs? And does it have to do with drugs?  This type of program offers those that qualify the ability to avoid substantial jail time and avoid a record byt submitting to various programs that include drug counseling, drug tests, etc.  But please: get a lawyer to help you.  You need to make sure that the offer is in writing and generally on the record to qualify.  You need to make sure that your record is sealed after the diversion program is completed. You need to make sure that if you don't complete it - and you are sentenced to the original charge - that the sentence is capped.  You need to make sure that there is a clear undertsanding that once completed the charges are dismissed, reduced - whatever.  Please please get legal help.  I am going to give you a link to help you better understand the complexities and what to make sure your lawyer is doing.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.