What insurance company will except you with a health condition that you already have?

My son has had to move home to California because of being ill and he has no health insurance. He was treated in Oregon but was to ill to stay there. Now we are trying to get him into a doctor here. He has no insurance now. What do we do and where do we go?

Asked on June 1, 2009 under Insurance Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Under California law,

- If you are joining a group health plan, you have the right to not be denied coverage on the basis of your health status, medical condition or history, genetic information, disability or insurability.

- You have the right to receive coverage for preexisting conditions in most cases within 12 months (or, in some instances, 6 months) of enrolling in a health care plan.

- If you are enrolling in an individual plan, you have the right not to be denied coverage if you have had 18 months of continuous coverage previously and meet certain other requirements.

- You have the right to be credited for time enrolled in a previous plan against any preexisting condition waiting period.

Here's a link that will explain further:  http://www.calpatientguide.org/v.html

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.