what if the person I want gone is just a guest and not paying rent but has been living there for 1.5 years

Asked on May 15, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Florida


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I'd want to know a little bit more about the situation before giving you an answer, because a year and a half is a bit longer than the average "just a guest."  The facts that matter could get into details, and you should take the time to talk to an attorney.  You can start looking for qualified lawyers in your area at our website, http://attorneypages.com

In most cases, I would think that you should be able to find a way, with a lawyer's help or after talking with your local police, to set a short deadline for this person to move out on his or her own.  The person had permission to come into your home and stay, for quite a while, but nothing you've told me about suggests that you can't end that permission.  After that, a guest turns into a trespasser.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.