What if the information is not updated on a Will?

I am co-executor of my mother’s Will. There is an estate battle for her house between me and the other co-executor. The Will states the house and furniture are to be sold and split 50/50. The co-executor is trying to force me to purchase the house and property from her. She is withholding the deeds for a couple of properties to get me to pay her the money for the house. The Will states the wrong address for house. My mom sold that house and purchased another one. Anyway I can use that to get the house?

Asked on July 12, 2012 under Estate Planning, Kentucky


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I would strongly suggest that you seek help from an attorney and more importantly, a mediator, to help here.  This is really not a positive situation.  When property mentioned in a Will is no longer a part of the Will it is generally simply disregarded.  When there are additional assets that are a part of the estate they can be distributed two ways: as per the residuary clause ("the rest, residue and remainder" clause), or via the intestacy statute.  Strong arming each other is no way to behave.  Good luck.   

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.