what if spouse refuse to sign?

Attempted to file papers via certified
mail, spouse wouldn’t sign for them,
came back after 3 attempts.
Sent her a text message to let her know
that I would be sending them with my
sister while she’s on vacation, she
never responded.

Asked on March 4, 2016 under Family Law, South Carolina


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not your spouse sign the divorce papers, you can obtain a divorce. In other words, the action can still move forward. This is done via a legal remedy known as a "divorce by default". Here is a link to a site that will further explain:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.