What can I do if my homeowner’s insurance rated my home incorrectly and overcharged me for the last 6 years?

Asked on February 2, 2016 under Insurance Law, Texas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If the matter is not resolved with your agent, you could sue the insurance company for negligence.  Negligence is the failure to exercise due care (that degree of care that a reasonable insurance company would have exercised under the same or similar circumstances to prevent foreseeable harm).  Your damages (the amount of compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) would be the amount you were overcharged.
One problem which might arise when filing a lawsuit is that there might be language buried in the fine print of your policy that a legal dispute is to be resolved  through arbitration.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.