What happens if I paid for a lifetime gym membership but it closed down?

Asked on June 11, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If the lifetime membership for the gym membership was paid in full by you and the business has closed for good, your only recourse is to seek some reimbursement back from the owner of the business as to what you paid since you are no longer getting what you paid for.

Your recourse could be small claims court for some percentage of refund as to what you paid.

Most likely the owner of the gym was some entity (corporation or limited liability company) which has been dissolved.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.