What if I no longer want to be someone’s Power of Attorney?

Asked on December 6, 2015 under Estate Planning, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

While you should formally relinquish your position with a notice to the principal, to any other or back-up attorneys-in-fact, or to any legal guardian(s), remember that you are under NO obligation to act as the attorney-in-fact: i.e. you don't need to make decisions for this person, do not need to accept paperwork or documentation for him/her, etc. Having a power of attorney in your favor is not the same thing as being a legal guardian: you are under no obligation to act for the princiapl (the person who created the POA). So yes, do provide notice that you do not intend to act as tha attorney-in-fact, but also, while removing yourself, do not think that you must act for the principal or let anyone pressure you into acting for him or her. You do not have to.

M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You will need to relinquish your position as agent. It can be done by simply informing the principal that you no longer want to serve as their agent. That having been said, you first need to check the actual POA document; it might set out a specific procedure that needs to be followed. If not, then just give the principal written notice. If they are incapacitated, most jurisdictions allow you to instead deliver the notice to their guardian. If no guardian has been appointed, you should be able to give your resignation to the person who cares for them (check directly with a local attorney).
Note: Many times, a principal will name 2 POA's. In this case, give notice of your resignation to the other attorney-in-fact.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.