what if after being served divorce papers we decide to try to work things out. What do I do with the papers that I was served?

Asked on October 1, 2018 under Family Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

You don't have to do anything with the papers with which you were served.
You and your spouse need to sign and file a request for dismissal (court form) with the court.
If the dismissal is with prejudice, the case cannot be filed again in the future.
If the dismissal is without prejudice, the case can be reinstated in the future.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.