What if a tenant lease is up and they refuse to move

They still owe 1,000 from back rent
and had a horse on my property when the
lease agreement stated no animals on
the property their lease was up 2
months ago they have another place to
stay they’re just using our place now
as storage.

Asked on June 4, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can evict them. There are several potential grounds for eviction: the expiration of the lease; the violation of lease terms (horse on property); the nonpayment of rent (the back rent they owe). Since it sounds like you really want them gone, you should hire a landlord-tenant attorney to help you and file the eviction action: landlord-tenant law can be somewhat technical in terms of the "notice" or written warning of the eviction which must be provided, and a failure to provide the right notice delays the case, since you are required to provide the correct notice and start over. Let a lawyer make sure you do everything right; stress to the attorney that your focus is not on recovering the back rent but on removing the tenant, so you want them to proceed on all possible grounds to evict (if they went just on back rent and the tenant then came up with the rent, they could stay).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.