What happens when a parolee violates parole with new misdemeanor and felony charges?

Recently someone I know who is out on parole was pulled over and subsequently charged with possession of a controlled substance, possession of drug paraphernalia, and felony possession of a firearm (among other misdemeanor and other possible felony charges) after the officer completed a search of the vehicle. They have read him the misdemeanor charges and set bond as well as a court date for those charges, but now we’re being told the judge must set a new bond for the felony charges and that we must just “wait” for that to happen. He has been there for a total of 11 days now.

Asked on June 5, 2012 under Criminal Law, Arkansas


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Any person who is on parole and is charged with new misdemeanor or felony charges is subject to a parole violation and a parole violation hearing. The fact that the person has yet to be convicted on the new charges does not mean that they will not be violated on parole as the two are separate matters. More than likely this persons parole agent has been notified of the new charges and will begin the process to determine if this person has violated any conditions of their parole, which could include having a parole violation hearing on the matter with the parolee and any witnesses/victims in the new misdemeanor and or felony charges.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.