If a wife refuses to pay alimony payments to her ex-husband, will she go to jail?

The wife makes more than husband and he needs money from her. The court has ordered that she

pay but she denies.

Asked on May 19, 2019 under Family Law, New Jersey


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

The husband should pursue contempt of court against the wife for her failure to comply with court orders to pay spousal support.
If found in contempt of court, the judge can impose fines and/ or a jail sentence. It depends on the discretion of the judge.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.