What happens if we paid a florist $3000 for our wedding and he didn’t do half of what he was suppose to?

The centerpieces were half the size we agreed on and not at all the same piece, missing garlands on back of ceremony chairs, missing rose garden. Went back to complain and florist blamed his problems on the wedding venue. How is that our fault. He offered us $100 refund. We paid $3000 for garbage. How can we get refunded a reasonable price, like $1000.

Asked on May 31, 2012 under Business Law, New Jersey


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the florist for breach of contract.  Your damages (the amount of compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) would be the amount of your refund.  You can file your lawsuit in Small Claims Court.  In addition to the amount of your refund, your damages should also include court costs.  Court costs would include the court filing fee and process server fee.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.