What happens if my son borrows my car and gets gets into a car accident or gets a DUI?

He is 33 years old and has had other DUI issues.

Asked on January 25, 2018 under Criminal Law, Minnesota


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

As the registered owner of the vehicle, you are liable if your son is at fault in an accident while driving your car.  I
If your son is not on your insurance policy, your insurance company will claim that he is an unauthorized driver and will deny the claim of the other party not at fault in the accident.  This means you will be personally liable for the property damage (cost of repairs) to the other vehicle not at fault in the accident and the personal injury claims of every occupant of that other vehicle.  The personal injury claims will include the medical bills, pain and suffering which is an amount in addition to the medical bills and wage loss.
If your son has another DUI while driving your vehicle, you may be liable for negligence for letting him drive your car with your knowledge of his history of DUIs.  You would be liable for the property damage and personal injury claims of the occupants of the vehicle not at fault in the accident.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.