What happens if I’m threatened with a lawsuit sued for a car accidentin which I was at fault but no police report was made?

A couple weeks after the accident I received a call from the other party’s insurance company. I spoke with them. Not knowing I wasn’t suppose to without legal advise, I did state I was at fault. The conversation was recorded. Now the other party is stating that if I do not pay her deductible that I will be sued for $12,000. Can they do this to me?

Asked on July 27, 2010 under Accident Law, Texas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you have insurance, it would be advisable to refer the matter to your insurance carrier and they will handle it.

If you don't have insurance, you could be sued for property damage and personal injury (if the other driver was injured).  You would be liable for the deductible.

If you didn't have insurance, the other driver could pursue an uninsured motorist claim through her insurance carrier.    If you don't have insurance and the other driver sues you and gets a judgment against you, you might want to consider filing bankruptcy to stop the enforcement of the judgment.  Until there is a judgment against you in this matter, it would be premature to file bankruptcy.  If a lawsuit is filed, depending on your state's procedures, it may be several months or possibly a year or longer before there is any potential judgment against you. Therefore, there is no need to worry about it for some time.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.