What happens if I cannot meet an order in my divorce decree?

I am to give my ex $1500 as a settlement on our timeshare within 30 days. What happens if I do not have 1500?

Asked on September 20, 2012 under Family Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you cannot comply with a court order for payment of the $1,500 per a court order per your dissolution decree you possibly could be held in contempt of a court order. As such, I suggest that you advise your "ex" in writing of the situation and make at least a partial payment and continue best efforts to get the order complied with.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.