What happens if a single mom can’t afford probation’s fees?

My stepdaugthe, a single mother of 2, pleaded guilty to intoxicated assault with a vehicle resulting a body injury a third degree felony. She is beginning 7 years of probation and has to pay $600 monthly to that person for 7 years, 150 hours of community service, 2 years without driving license and fees. My question is what happens if she can’t pay on time specially to the other person because is very hard for her with no driving license to get another job and the job that she has actually is not enough for her and the kids and pay all.

Asked on July 4, 2012 under Criminal Law, Texas


Russ Pietryga / Pietryga Law Office

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Probation is a privilege not a right.  That said, if your step-daughter does not comply with the terms and conditions of probation, she could be violated and sent to prison instead. 

Usually, the best thing to do is get before the judge before you are in non-compliance with the terms and conditons of probation.  When you get before the judge explain the impossibiility of the situation and ask for different terms and conditions.  For instance, maybe more community service instead of a higher fine.

Hope this helps

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.