What forms will I need for an uncontested divorce in TN where we both still will be living in the same house?

My husband and I want an uncontested divorce in TN. We will be remaining in the same house, but only as roommates. We already are in separate bedrooms and have been for years. Our finances are such that we can split the mortgage payment and is financially perfect for us to meet especially since I’m disabled. He has his vehicles, I have one. My SSI can go into a personal checking account after the divorce. We will be able to split the bills half and half. It’s all very amicable. The house is the main issue since every form I have found so far wants the house to go to one or the other. We do not want that. If something should happen to either of us death, then the house will go the remaining survivor. I know this can be done and is allowed in TN, but I

am unable to find out what forms I need to start the proceedings to get uncontested divorce with no children and we both stay in the house, just as roommates and no lawyer fees.

Asked on August 23, 2018 under Family Law, Tennessee


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

While I certainly understand how you wish to avoid legal fees, it may be best to get help on a consultation basis only - use as you wish and to find out what you need to do - to comply with the law.  Tennessee does not allow uncontested divorces if you won a business or property with their spouse or there are retirement benefits to split.  So you will need help here.  You can ask about preparing a new deed after the divorce papers are signed leaving you both with "rights of survivorship" in the house.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.