What forms do I need to obtain guardianship of a minor who is a member of my family?

Asked on November 10, 2011 under Family Law, Minnesota


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

What you really need to do is to consult with an attorney in your area about filing a Petition for Legal Guardianship of the minor child.  Although you have not given the reasons why you wish to seek guardianship, the court will determine same ni the best interest of the child.  They will not do anything to the contrary of parental rights unless it is in the child's best interest. There are cetain background checks that will be performed based upon your application.  The parents can also consent to the guardianship.  I am going to give you a link to the Minnesota Courts website to help you get your bearings on the matter.  Good luck to you.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.