What form do I use to overturn a divorce default judgment?

Asked on September 5, 2015 under Family Law, Colorado


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You don't give any specifics of your situation. That having been said, before a default divorce is granted, the respondent you would have been given time in which to answer the complaint and give your side of the story. If you failed to do so, then you may not be able to overturn the divorce. For example, if your former spouse the petitioner could not locate you, they could have "served" notice of the court action via publication in a newspaper, as per order of the court.
At this point, you should consult directly with a local divorce attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.