What evidence is required to convict a minor of underage drinking?

The officer came to my apartment for a noise complaint. She observed beer cans through the window in a common area which belonged to my roommate who is of age. She informed us that we were only receiving a warning for the noise complaint, then left. Over 2 weeks later I received a citation for underage drinking in the mail.

Asked on November 10, 2011 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Proof enough to convict a minor of underage drinking is for law enforcement to actually find a minor with alcohol in his or her possession and alcohol within his or her system.

The evidence of such (a bottle or can) is typically confiscated and placed into evidence. From what you have written, there is not enough evidence to convict you of the charge by evidence beyond a reasonable doubt.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.