What does per stirpes mean when it is underlined in a last will and testament

The whole sentence in the will is as follows
I hereby give, devise and bequeath all rest, residue and remainder of my
property, whether real, personal or mixed, wherever situated, to my
children, their names listed here in the will but I am not listing them
here, share and share alike, per stirpes. per stirpes is underlined in
the will

Asked on October 29, 2017 under Estate Planning, Kansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Each person named receives an equal share. If anyone named passes away before the person making the will and that person's own heirs inherit, they divide that person's share up among themselves. Example: the will leaves everything per stirpes to three children and say that if any pass away, his/her share goes per stirpes to his/her children (the grandchildren of the testator, or person making the will). So, the children are A, B, and C: each gets 1/3. If A has two children of her own and passes away, then B and C still each get one 1/3, while A's own children, D and E, share A's thirds and therefore get 1/6th each.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.