what does it mean to file a quest entry default and certificate default, I need that in order to get a court date to be heared

Asked on June 8, 2009 under Family Law, New Jersey


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You've filed your complaint, served the complaint and summons on your spouse, and his or her time to answer is expired.  Now, you need to request the court clerk to enter the default, and that has to be supported by a certification stating that you have served the defendant, no answer has been filed and the time has expired.

You may be able to find an example or a form for this on the internet;  if not, go to the law library in the courthouse (it's open to the public, not just lawyers!), and see if someone there can help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.