What documents can I show when I cross the border from Mexico to the US if I don’t have a passport and I’m a US citizen?

Asked on October 14, 2015 under Immigration Law, California


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Why don't you have a US passport?  How did you depart the US without a US passport?  I would strongly suggest that before attempting to reenter the US, you contact the US Embassy in Mexico to see if you can either apply for a temporary passport or some other documentation proving your US citizenship.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.