What do you recommend?

I am looking forward to becoming a citizen and
one of the questions asks if I’ve been
arrested/detained before. I was detained in
juvenile detention for about two days because
of a domestic violence case involving my mother
back in 2012. At the time I was a minor, and
was told by a judge that my records would be
sealed. When trying to acquire a summary/letter
of disposition, all record departments say my
case does not exist. What is the next move?

Asked on January 15, 2019 under Immigration Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

If the record was sealed, you don't need to disclose it. The purpose of sealing a record is to avoid having it haunt you for the rest of you life and to give you a fresh start or chance. Disclosing a sealed record undermines the very purpose of sealing it in the first place.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.