What do you need to sell a home in MA if your husband died without a will. I’m on the deed.

My husband died without having a will. I wish to sell my Massachusetts home which
I’m a legal owner since I’m on the deed. What legal/tax documents do I need to
provide at the closing?

Asked on September 6, 2017 under Estate Planning, Massachusetts


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  I am asuming that when your and your husband bought the house you were married and the deed says "as tenants in the entirety." That means that when your husband passed you became the owner automatically under the law.  You can indeed transfer the house without having to Probate your husband's estate but you should really contact a Title Company and ask them what they would require.  LIkely just a copy of your Husband's death certificate but double check to be sure.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.