What do temporary letter’s of administration entitle you to do?

My son died 2 months ago. I have obtained temporary letter’s of administration through County county probate court. What does that entitle me to do. My son had a live in girlfriend and the two of them had a 2 year old daughter. He also had a 9 year old daughter from previous relationship. I am trying obtain his personal items such as clothing, etc. I also had to pay all funeral cost because he had no insurance. Am I entitled any of his furnishing in order to help pay for the funeral?

Asked on July 13, 2012 under Estate Planning, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  I would strongly advise you to seek help from ana ttorney in the county in which your son resided at the time of his death.  The Georgia probate code is complicated and there are many different types of probate procedures that one may be entitled to file.  Now, Temproary Letters are those issued during the pendency of the petitoon for permanent letters and for the reasons listed under the statute to collect and preserve the assets of the decedent (your son).  They are issued under limited conditions and you may in fact qualify.  And yes, you are technically a "creditor" of the estate and the funeral bill is the first to be paid.  Get help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.