What do I need to file/create to ensure that after my death, my body is cremated and that my ashes will be given to a non-family member?

Asked on May 29, 2012 under Estate Planning, Alabama


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Custom and practice with respect to one's final request for the disposition of one's body after death is to sign a statement of intent as to such before a notary public and give copies of such to close family members and discuss your desires in the end.

In the end, you just have to hope that your wishes for cremation are followed through. You should also go to a mortuary and get your final desires in order in writing and have the cremation pre-paid.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.