What do I need to do to transfer my share of an estate to another beneficiary?

My mother’s will divided her estate in three even shares to her three children. Her home constituted the largest portion of the estate, and my brother and I want to give our shares of the home to our sister. What’s the best way to accomplish this? Is there a form we can sign to make our intent clear?

Asked on March 2, 2016 under Estate Planning, Michigan


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

As a beneficiary (i.e. when you receive a gift from someone’s estate), you can renounce it (i.e. refuse to accept the gift for any reason). This is called “disclaiming” the gift and your refusal is called a "disclaimer". When you disclaim a gift, you do not get to decide who gets it; instead, it passes on to the next beneficiary, as if you did not exist.   
Here is a link to a site that will explain more:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.