What do I need to do to settle my deceased girlfriend”s estate if she had no will?

Asked on January 7, 2013 under Estate Planning, Florida


Catherine Blackburn / Blackburn Law Firm

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I cannot answer this question without more information.  If your girlfriend had no will and you are not listed on any property (house, bank account, car, stocks, retirement accounts, etc.), then you will have no right to inherit anything.  If a Florida resident dies without a will, the Florida statutes pass all their assets to relatives.  The only way to avoid this is to prepare a will or make sure the assets either include someone as an owner or as a beneficiary.

I am sorry for that bad news.  Perhaps it is offset by knowing that you are not responsible for any of your girlfriend's debts (unless you signed something saying you are responsible).  You have no obligation to open an estate or "settle your deceased girlfriend's estate."  You can let it all go into default and her creditors will have to open an estate to take care of the assets.

Good luck.  I am sorry for your loss.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.