What do I need to do to regain visitation rights to my son?

I have tried going to court and representing myself but the judge dismissed my case. My divorce paperwork includes joint legal custody and visitation. I have not seen my son in 5 years or talked to him in 2 and I miss him very much. I really dont think what shes doing is fair to either of us. I am not a bad person. I have done things in my life Im not proud of but I really dont think I deserve this.

Asked on September 24, 2012 under Family Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It's impossible to say based on the information provided what you can do to regain visitation.

I'm not sure why the judge dismissed your case.  I am not sure if you filed the proper paperwork when you sought visitation.  You really need to bring your paperwork with you and consult with a local family law attorney.

Best of luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.