What do I need to do to have this charge deleted of of my record?

My sister stole my idenity and told an officer that she was myself to get off of a minor consumption charge. I found out, and it is now on her record.  They dismissed my case, however I was told that it would only show up under their filing system.  It is showing up on my background check and on public record sites. This is keeping me from getting a job. How do I fix it?

Asked on June 11, 2009 under Criminal Law, Idaho


N. K., Member, Iowa and Illinois Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You can expunge your criminal record. When this is done, the record cannot be accessed for general law enforcement or civil use (i.e. background check).

Since charges were dismissed against you, you probably qualify for expungement. You may have the fingerprint and criminal record expunged by a written request directed to the department retaining these records.

In Idaho, the Idaho State Police, Bureau of Criminal Identification (BCI) maintains the state's central repository of criminal history information. You can call them at: 208-884-7130.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.