What doI need to do in order to dispose of a customers unclaimed repaired property?

I am an owner of a small television repair shop. I diagnose a TV, give an estimate, and the estimate is approved. I repair the unit and it works great. The bill is$235. The customer paid a $3 diagnostic fee in advance, leaving a balance of $200. I have tried to contact the customer and cannot get a response to my repeated voice mails. What is my next step to sell the unit for the balance due, so that I can not only get it out of my shop but to get paid for the time and money I have invested?

Asked on November 1, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The best way to answer your question is to see if you have any document signed by the customer stating that you have a lien on the repaired article and if the customer has not picked up the item in so many days after being advised of the repair, then you can sell it. If you have such an agreement by this customer, then you should give another notice of the need to pick up the article or it will be sold to pay your fee.

If you do not have such an agreement, you need to do another demand to the customer to pick up the item or that you will bring a small claims action for the amount owed for the repairs. Make sure you place all communications in writing and keep copies of the letters for future need.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.