What do I if my ex locked me out and I own the house?

My ex girlfriend locked me out of the house that
we own together. I need to get into the house in
order to get all of my things moved out but she
changed the locks and wont let me out. What
can I do to get in as quick as possible?

Asked on January 26, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Oregon


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

Yes to both. As a legal owner of the property, absent a restraining order being placed against you, you can enter the house at anytime to retrieve your belongings. If your boyfriend will not let you, you can contact the local police department and see if they will escort you onto the property to get your things. They may or may not get involved as this is actually a civil versus criminal matter but you can at least ask. Otherwise, you can take your ex to court to gain entry. 

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

You have to go to the county court and file for a court order requiring that she let you back in. This is done on an "emergent" (think: urgent or emergency) basis, so you can typically get an order the day you go to court to file for one. Only the court can order that you be allowed back in, but they will order this if you are an owner of the home: an owner may NOT be locked out, even by a co-owner. The order will authorize law enforcement to help you get back in if she refuses to cooperate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.