What do I do info on my speeding ticket is incorrect?

Ticket states I was going 68 mph in a 45 mph zone, when it was actually a 55 mph zone. I have pictures to prove it is a 55 mph zone. Is this worth fighting?

Asked on June 24, 2017 under General Practice, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

It is worth bringing this to the prosecutor's and/or judge's attention: you do this by showing up for court on the given trial date, bringing your evidence with you. This will not result in the ticket being dismissed entirely, since you clearly did speed (68 mph exceeds either speed limit), but it may very likely result in the ticket being downgraded to only 13 mph over the limit, not 23 mph, which is few points and a lower fine.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.