What do I do when I am being sexually and racially harassed by a boss?

My boss tells racial jokes about me; also sexual ones. He continues to touch my butt when I am not looking and gets too close. He follows me around the store making noises. When he watches a movie with Black people in it, he comes back to work saying that he saw me in the movie (it is usually something degrading). I reported him to HR and nothing has been done. Now he continues to right me up for little things so that he can fire me. I am filing a report with the EEOC. What else should I do? Should Ispeak with an employment law attorney? I’m in Durham, NC. 

Asked on July 24, 2010 under Employment Labor Law, North Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You seem to have good reasons to speak with an attorney on the matter.  I would suggest that you do so soon.  Have your complaints to HR been in writing?  They should be.  If they are in person then there should be a witness for you as well.  Start putting together a list of those employees that are present when he makes such comments.  And note the date, time and place each time he touches you and comment on it so that others are aware of what is happening.

Does your company have an employee manual or some other form of written documentation as to procedures that are to be followed?  If so, bring that with you to the attorney.  You do not have to take this kind of harassment and discrimination. Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.