What doI do to contest a revocable trust?

My sister is the executor of my father’s trust. Can she refuse to give me what I deserve?

Asked on November 29, 2011 under Estate Planning, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you want to contest a bequest given you under a revocable trust where your sister is the trustee of the trust, there has to be a legal and factual basis for one to do so. In order to ascertain the basis for you to do so, you should consult with an experienced Wills and trust attorney and have him or her review the trust at issue.

Depending upon the terms of the trust and any gift to you, there may be provisions limiting how and when you can receive what is given to you under the trust which is administered by your sister who apparently is its trustee. If there are no limitations as to when you are to receive what was given you under the trust, the trustee must give you what you are entitled to receive.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.