What do I do if the homeowners association is suing me for non-payment of fees?

Asked on August 18, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Do you owe the fees? If you don't--if you can prove that you did pay them, or that they are assessing improper amounts--you would have a good defense. But if you do legitimately owe the money, try to settle with them, either for partial payment or payment over time, according to some schedule you can afford otherwise, if you do owe the money, they will probably win and if they win, they can generally take your home or unit, or at a minimum, put a lien on it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.