What do I do if my tenant brought her boyfriend to live with her without my permission claiming that he’s only her guest?

What can I do legally to get him out of there?

Asked on June 7, 2012 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You need to read your lease agreement and see what it states as to "guests" if anything.  If it appears that he has become an illegal tenant then there may be certain angles to pursue.  You can evict him as a squatter of sorts; you can evict her for breach of the lease agreement (is he an illegal "sublet"?), etc.  I would discuss this with your attorney and decide which is the best way to go for you.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.