What do I do if my employer decides not to pay me?

I have reported my former employer due to many reasons, but the main reason is because I have not been paid since the day I have terminated my employment last month. My former manager and the owner said she would pay me 3 days ago. I went to pick up my check and she never opened her shop making me unable to it up. I have reported her to the labor department.

Asked on October 6, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

From what you write, it appears you were not paid your final paycheck. If that is the case, you could potentially sue your employer--including possibly in small claims court, where the costs are lower, cases move faster, and you don't need to hire a lawyer (i.e. you can represent yourself)--for the money. If you did the work, you must be paid; your former employer can *not* simply decide to not pay you. You've already reported her to the labor department, which may or may not take action--they have a lot of case, too little staff, and may not be able to devote time and resources to a single person not receiving a final paycheck. Your only other option, as noted above, would be sue the employer for the wages she owes you for work which you did. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.