What do I do if my employer accuses me of theft and terminates me?

Asked on February 27, 2013 under Criminal Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If your employer has filed a criminal complaint, then you need to seek the advice of an experienced criminal law attorney. They can best guide as as to what to do next once there hear the deails of your case. In the meantime, if the police contact you, do not speak with them unless you have legal counsel present.

As far as your employer is concerned, it had a right to fire you whether or not the charge is true. That is unless your termination violated company policy, the terms of an emloyment contract or union agreement. The reason is that "at will"employees can be fired for this reason, any reason or no reason at all (with or without notice). However, if the charge is dismissed or you are acquitted of the charge, then you were fired "without cause" and may be eligible to collect unemployment benefits.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.