What do I do if my company will not fire someone that called me a derogatory term because I am a female?

The company is putting him on a final warning, and telling me that I still have to work as his supervisor. The word he used was extremely offensive, and I do not feel comfortable being around him, much less his supervisor.

Asked on March 16, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

From what you write, it seems as if the company has investigated and is taking appropriate action--someone called you a derogatory, gender-related term and has been put on final warning. As long as an employer takes reasonable action when faced with sexual harassment or discrimination, they have fulfilled their obligation. The law does not require an employer to terminate a sexual harasser--that is not the only allowed response. The law also does not require them to take an action which you personally find comfortable. If this person continues to make offensive, gender-related comments or commits some other act of sexual harassment, then if the employer does not follow through and, for example, terminate him at that time, you may have a legal action and be entitled to sue your employer for giving sexual harassment a pass.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.