What do I do if my alien card expired a few years back while abroad and I want to reenter the US?

Asked on March 10, 2013 under Immigration Law, New York


Byron Mobley / The Law Office of Byron Mobley

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Depending on some additional facts such as having gotten advanced parole, how long you have been out of the USAregard similar it is possible that you have to reapply as you may have been deemed to have surrendered your resident alien status.  You need to talk withan experienced immigration attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.