What do I do if I was served with divorce papers and can’t afford a lawyer?

My husband filed for divorce after putting all community property in other people’s names to keep me from being able to make claim to it.

Asked on December 29, 2017 under Family Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

The fact is that you can file for a divorce yourself; most states have on-line sites that contain the information for doing so. That having been said, under the circumstances that you state, you should try to obtain legal counsel. Since money is an issue and Legal Aid cannot assist you, check if there is a law school in your area since many run legal clinics that take clients for free/reduced fees. Also, you can see if your local county/state bar association has a list of attorneys who will represent clients "pro bono" (i.e. for free) based on their income/circumstances. Finally, your loacal department of social sevices may be able to recommend legal sevices since you are disabled.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.