What doI do ifI received a letter from a law firm stating that if I didn’t pay $775 that they would file a civil law suit?

I worked for a retail store inside the airport. I stole money from them but the money was returned. The officer at loss and prevention of the airport said they would not file charges since I paid all of it back (except like $200). Now 5 or 6 years later, I got this letter. I am currently in college and wanted to know what I should do? A lot of sites saying they are a scam but I wanted some advice first.

Asked on November 4, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

First, if you have not heard anything about the incident that happened more than 5 or 6 years ago for a very long time and no lawsuit has been filed against you, the claims most likely are time barred by the statute of limitations.

I would get as much information as you can from the law firm that is contacting you about the alleged debt and give as little information in return. I would be wary about this situation in that there are many scams going on where  third party collection companies are contacting people saying moneys are owed but are not.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.