What do I do if I got caught with 2 ounces of marijuana?

Should I plead not guilty so that I can go to trial and hopefully lessen the charge? I am a college student and single mother of 4.

Asked on November 28, 2011 under Criminal Law, Oregon


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you were caught with two (2) ounces of marijuana and have been charged with a criminal offense, I highly recommend that you consult with a criminal defense attorney to represent you.

As you are aware, conviction of the crime against you can result in jail time, a fine, community service work and worse yet, a permanent criminal record. This criminal record can impair your ability for higher education and getting a good paying job.

I recommend that before you decide to enter a plea, you consult with the criminal defense attorney that I suggest that you consult with. The chances of a better result to the situation you are in increased with a competent criminal defense attorney compared to when one represents himself or herself in a criminal proceeding.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.