What do I do if I can’t afford court fees for a non-traffic ticket?

Asked on October 16, 2013 under Criminal Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If you are referring to court filing fees or related court fees, ask the court clerk for a court form which allows you to waive the filing fee and/or other related fees.  The form requires disclosure of financial information.  After completing the form, file it with the court.

If by court fees, you are referring to fines, those will not be waived.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.