What do I do if I am being sued over skipping out on my lease over 10 years ago?

This is not on my credit report nor did I know about this. Also, I didn’t receive any notice aside from a letter that was sent to my brothers house about this up until the letter stating that I have to go to court. This is an out of state matter and I live thousands of miles from there now. I need to know what I can do and if there is a way out of going to the court.

Asked on March 20, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you have been sued over a contractual obligation with respect to a lease that happened more than 10 years ago, there is a very good chance that the lawsuit against you may be time barred by the statute of limitations in the state that where the contract was entered into or where the rented parcel was.

As such, I recommend that you immediately consult with an attorney practicing in the area of contract law as well as landlord tenant relations to protect your interests as to the lawsuit you are writing about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.