What do I do if a car hits my apartment?

The apartment manager moved us to another apartment but there’s furniture and appliances that need to be replaced. What do I do if the driver doesn’t have insurance?

Asked on July 23, 2012 under Accident Law, Washington


Leigh Anne Timiney / Timiney Law Firm

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Hopefully you carried renters insurance which would cover the costs of your personal items which were damaged and need to be replaced.  If not, perhaps your apartment complex has a policy which could help you, although normally those policies provide coverage for the structure and fixtures and not the occupants personal belongings.  You can always file a lawsuit against the driver of the vehicle, but this carries costs to you and it might be very difficult for you to collect from the driver, even if you get a judgement in a court.  Good luck to you.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.